6 June 1991: Remembering my cousin Police Constable Clive Duperouzel who passed away on this day 33 years ago.
Clive joined the Western Australia Police Force on 29 January 1968 and after three months training Clive, together with 35 other recruits, graduated as police constables before the Western Australian Police Commissioner, Robert Napier, at a ceremony held at the Maylands Airfield, near Perth, in April that year. The W.A. Police Pipe Band, formed in 1966, led the constables as they proudly marched whilst family and friends watched the proceedings with pride.
I myself was proud to have witnessed this graduation ceremony and look back on this happy day with great admiration for Clive was not only my cousin, but a good friend. He was born on 20 April 1947, exactly a year after me. Also watching were Clive’s proud parents, my uncle Ted and aunty Tot Duperouzel, from York, and his siblings Jan, Bruce and David. Clive looked very smart as he stood tall and handsome in his smart police uniform for he was following in the footsteps of someone he admired immensely – his uncle, Police Sergeant Alec Duperouzel, 1458, my father, who served the W.A. Police Force for 38 years.
Having been raised on the Duperouzel family farm at Qualen, near York, and educated at York High School, Clive was an accomplished Aussie Rules footy player with the York Football Club and later played cricket for the Mt. Lawley Cricket Club after his move to Perth.
Clive served the W.A. Police Force for 22+ years with distinction during which time he was based in Perth, Port Hedland, Bruce Rock and with the Perth Liquor Branch. Whilst in Port Hedland he attended to the aftermath of a plane disaster when a MMA flight from Perth, MacRobertson Miller Airlines prop-jet airliner, crashed 27 miles south of the town with the loss of twenty six people on 31 December 1969. I recall he only ever once spoke briefly about this tragedy and did so with due sensitivity and discretion.
Clive enjoyed his time in the W.A. Police Force and always demonstrated a sense of ‘fair play’. He had a lovely sense of humour and was generous with his time, a good listener and story teller. On the occasions we met, when visiting Western Australia with my family, Clive would always arrive clutching a generous quantity of crayfish to share!
Clive loved his family and battled bravely with cancer before he succumbed to the disease on the 6 June 1991, aged 44 years. A life cut short – he is sorely missed. Gone but not forgotten. May he rest in peace.